Happy Tuesday everyone! Our weekend was full of pjs, Christmas crafting (just imagine giving two toddlers pattern scissors in every style imaginable. Paper scraps e v e r y w h e r e……..) and decorating gingerbread men. A perfect way to enjoy a quiet Christmas weekend!
Notice not many candies made it on the gingerbread…
About once a month or every six weeks I get a major craving for something warm for breakfast. Sometimes that means pancakes, but most of the time I want baked oatmeal. One person I dearly love didn’t want to try my baked oatmeal “because I don’t like oatmeal” when they were visiting my home. Oh, my friend. This is NOT gloppy, sticky oatmeal. Apple Cherry Baked Steel Cut Oatmeal really is probably the best I’ve made. It is a warm hug from the heavens that just sent you a foot of snow to admire. While you eat this. In your pjs. and drink coffee all day.
Apple Cherry Steel Cut Oatmeal is meant to comfort, savor and enjoy slowly. I describe this as more of a warm oatmeal cookie fresh out of the oven rather than soupy texture we made out of those packets as kids. (Have I convinced you yet?? Am I getting obnoxious about oatmeal yet???) Well, anyway, it is cozy, warming and perfect for a hearty delicious breakfast.
First, in a large bowl combine brown sugar, unsweetened applesauce, eggs, old fashioned and steel cut oats. Mix gently to combine. Add baking powder, cinnamon, salt and milk.
Add chopped apple and dried cherries and mix until just combined.
Pour into buttered baking dish and bake for 35-45 minutes. Press down until there is an even layer on top and oats begin to soak up the milk.
Top with brown sugar, milk and toasted pecans.
Apple Cherry Baked Steel Cut Oats has great texture from the two types of oats. If you aren’t crazy about oatmeal, I dare you to try this. Not only will you feel healthy with all those oats and fruit, you will feel sophisticated. Smarter even. Ok, maybe not, but your standards for oatmeal may have risen. Give it a try and let me know what you think. You just might love it!
5 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 c. old fashioned oats
- 1 1/2 c. steel cut oats
- 2 t. baking powder
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 c. milk (any kind is fine)
- 1 small apple, peeled, cored and chopped (I used Pink Lady)
- 1/3 c. dried cherries
- 1/2 c. whole pecans, roasted with sprinkle of salt
- brown sugar, milk for serving
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add first five ingredients to a large bowl and mix gently. Add next six ingredients (through cherries) and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Pour into buttered 8 x 8 baking dish. Bake for 35-45 minutes until golden brown.
- While oatmeal cools slightly, toast pecans in DRY small fry pan over medium heat. (Do not use oil, heat nuts in dry pan). When you start to smell the nuts, remove from heat and sprinkle lightly with salt. Serve over warm oatmeal with extra brown sugar and milk.
This recipe easily doubles for a 9 x 13 pan. I love the texture of the mixed oats but can also use just old fashioned oats. Feel free to use coconut oil to grease pan and almond milk to make dairy free. Finally, don't omit the pecans, they take this over the top!
For other recipes, click here.
What is your favorite breakfast on a cold morning? Do you have an “elevated classic” that you love?