Isn’t it so funny that at the end of summer when the temps dip just below 70 degrees for 10 minutes everyone pulls out sweaters and pumpkin everything? And then in the Spring when the weather warms up just barely over 65 degrees everyone pulls out shorts and tank tops?? Well, we had one of those *barely* chilly days this week. And I wanted soup. Specifically, Chunky Chicken Chowder (say that ten times fast!).
(Do you remember this past Spring when I wanted summer and it just wouldn’t come? This was the soup I made then.)
So this soup comes together really quickly and has lots of good, chunky bites to keep you full much longer than your typical broth-style soup. My favorite part is that there are two different types of meat: chicken breast and chicken sausage. The fun part is that there are many different flavors of chicken sausage so you can slightly change the flavor each time you make this! For this recipe I used this all natural brand:
First, take a large soup pot and add olive oil to the bottom of the pan. Start warming the oil while you chop the chicken breast into bite-sized chunks. Season with salt and pepper before tossing into olive oil. While these brown, cut up the chicken sausage into similar-sized chunks. When the chicken breast has cooked on both sides, add chicken sausage to warm through.
Next, chop red (or yellow) pepper, onion and red potatoes. Also, finely mince garlic. Add these to the pot and stir with chicken and sausage. Let the vegetables soften (about 5 minutes) and then add kidney beans.
Finally, add fire roasted tomatoes, red pepper flakes and chicken stock.
Bring all this to a boil and lower heat to a simmer (about 10-12 minutes) for potatoes to soften. Serve with shredded cheese, a dollup of sour cream and tortilla chips on the side.
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 12 oz. chicken sausage, chopped, flavor of your choice
- 2 T. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 shallot, minced
- 6 small red potatoes, chopped
- 15 oz. can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 t. hot sauce OR red pepper flakes
- 15 oz. fire roasted chopped tomatoes
- 2 Qt. chicken stock or broth
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- tortilla chips
- Preheat soup pot to medium high. Add olive oil.
- Chop chicken into bite-size pieces and season with salt and pepper. Saute chicken until cooked through.
- Dice chicken sausage and add to the pot. Next add garlic and let cook 2 minutes.
- Add peppers, onion and potatoes. Cook 5 minutes, then add red pepper flakes and fire roasted tomatoes.
- Finally, add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer for 10-12 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream and tortilla chips and fresh cilantro if desired.
What do you reach for first when the season turns? What do you crave when it starts to get cold?