Is there anyone out there that tries to resist doing what the entire world seems to be doing?
I’m talking about the InstantPot of course. I feel like everyone got one for Christmas. Seriously, if I see one more Instagram feed promising my life will be changed by this new kitchen gadget I might hit someone.
But can we sing the praises of the old classic Crockpot? This is similar to the one I have and I really like it. Especially for its programmability (is that a word??) and less than half the price of the InstantPot! Also, after the cook time is complete, it automatically shifts over to warm instead of continuing to cook.
Now I will say my husband isn’t a huge fan of Crockpot meals. The meat just comes out too dry. But this Crockpot Thai Peanut Chicken is fantastic and healthy too! Oh, and I promise the chicken comes out juicy and tender. My tip? Make sure you start with raw chicken, not frozen. I think going from frozen to cooked makes it tougher.
First, chop up some carrots, onion and red pepper and lay in bottom of Crockpot. This will be the bed for your chicken. Next, lay four chicken breasts across the veggies.
Next, in a separate bowl, mix together chicken broth, creamy peanut butter, lime zest and lime juice, soy sauce, quick cooking tapioca, ginger, red pepper flakes and minced garlic. Don’t be overwhelmed by the number of ingredients, it really makes a great sauce!
Now pour this over all the chicken and veggies. Cover with the lid and cook on LOW for 4 hours or HIGH for 2 hours. When cooking time is up, add peas and a bit of coconut milk for creaminess. Cover again for about 10 minutes until peas are warmed through.
And all that the beauty of the Crockpot holds is here, in this dish…
Crockpot Thai Peanut Chicken is healthy, great peanut flavor with just a little kick and perfect for a weeknight meal. Give this meal a try and I hope it finds a way into your weekly rotation!
Yields 4-5 servings
5 minPrep Time
2 hrCook Time
2 hr, 5 Total Time
- 1 medium onion (I used 4 shallots)
- 4-5 carrots, peeled and rough chopped
- 1 red pepper, rough chopped
- 4-5 chicken breasts
- 3/4 c. chicken broth
- 3 T. creamy peanut butter
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 2 T. soy sauce (I used low-sodium)
- 2 T. quick cooking tapioca*
- 1 T. ginger, fresh grated or paste
- 2-3 t. red curry paste or red pepper flakes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 c. unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 c. frozen peas
- Chopped peanuts
- Chopped cilantro
- First, chop onion, carrot and pepper and lay in the bottom of your Crockpot.
- Next, lay chicken breasts over the top of the vegetables.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all ingredients for the Thai Peanut Sauce and pour over chicken and vegetables.
- Cook on low for 4 hours or high for 2 hours.
- Then, uncover and add frozen peas and coconut milk.
- Serve over brown rice and top with chopped peanuts and fresh cilantro.
*Tapioca is used as a thickening agent for the Thai Sauce. Feel free to omit if you prefer. Also, if you are avoiding rice, I have also served this over a bed of baby spinach and it was delicious!
If you liked this recipe, be sure to check out other recipes here!
Do you struggle with weeknight meals? What are some of your favorite weeknight meals? If you have the coveted InstantPot, please tell me why you love it!