Do you ever do this? Make a bunch of grilled chicken but feel at a loss for what to actually do with it? Well, this very quickly assembled dinner is delicious! Greek Salad with Grilled Chicken is a healthy, quick dinner that won’t leave you weighed down when you are finished.
One of the things that always helps is to quickly season the chicken before it goes on the grill. Just a couple of spices and you can completely change the flavor of your entire meal. You could also marinate your meat but sometimes I just want to sprinkle something and go.
My husband is in charge of the grill so while he does that I do the chopping. Within just a few minutes I have all of dinner ready. Though some of my kids are a little resistant to salad for a meal, they will eat nearly all of this separated onto their plates which makes it a win for me.
The other great part about this is that the marinade is also the dressing. It simplifies everything and leaves you with fewer dishes to do. To get started, preheat your grill. Next, to a large bowl add olive oil, lemon, water, red wine vinegar, parsley, basil, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Whisk these ingredients well and add half to the chicken in a zip top bag. Reserve the remaining dressing for the salad.
Next, start to warm the grill as you just do a bit of chopping: chop up some Romaine lettuce, halve some cherry tomatoes, dice up an English cucumber (the long and skinny kind), slice a whole avocado, quarter a lemon and pull out a pint of feta cheese.
Place marinated chicken on the grill and discard marinade. Grill until juices run clear and have good grill marks. Be sure to let chicken rest for 5 minutes before cutting into it so juices can redistribute. Slice chicken and add to salad. Dress the salad and serve immediately. Enjoy!
If you would like, add 1/3 c. chopped and pitted Kalamata olives.
- For the dressing/marinade
- 2 T. olive oil
- 2 T. water
- 2 T. red wine vinegar
- 2 t. dried basil
- 2 t. minced garlic
- 1 t. dried oregano
- 1 t. salt
- fresh cracked black pepper
- For the salad
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 c. Romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 large English cucumber, diced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 avocado sliced
- lemon wedges
- Mix all ingredients for the dressing in a large bowl and whisk well. Pour half into a zip top back with chicken breasts. Let marinate while the grill warms. Reserve remaining dressing for later.
- Chop Romaine lettuce and cucumbers, tomatoes and avocado and put on the salad.
- When chicken comes off the grill, let the meat rest for 5 minutes. Finally slice the meat and add to the salad. Pour remaining dressing over the top.
What is your go-to quick healthy dinner? Do you have a favorite marinade or herb mix for chicken on the grill?